About Mulayam Singh Yadav
Mulayam Singh Yadav, an Indian politician and is the founder member of the Samajwadi Party. In 1996, he was elected in the 11th Lok Sabha and served as the Defense Minister of India under the United Front Government from 1996 to 1998. He is the former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Pradesh, holding the position thrice during 1989 to 1991, 1993 to 1995, and lastly from 2003 to 2007.
Since the 1960s, he has won several Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections and was elected as a Lok Sabha member 4 times. He has been considered very much instrumental and decisive and also one of the key players in Indian politics who has big role in coalition government or in opposition.
Personal background of Mulayam Singh Yadav
He comes from the family of peasant. Mulayam Singh was born on 22 November 1939 in the Saifai village located in the Etawah District of the state of Uttar Pradesh in India. His father was Shri Sughar Singh and mother was Smt. Murti Devi. From the K.K. College in Etawah, the A.K. College in Shikohabad and the B.R. College under the Agra University, obtained a B.A., a B.T. and an M.A. degree in political sciences.
Professional background and entry in politics
By the ideologies and principles of Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia, he got inspired. When he was 15 years old, he came into contact with people like Sarvashri Madhu Limaye, Ram Sewak Yadav, Karpoori Thakur, Janeshwar Mishra and Raj Narayan.
By works of former Prime Ministers of India like Chowdhary Charan Singh, Shri V.P. Singh and Shri Chandra Shekha, he is very much influenced and motivated. He participated in various events that seeks the protection of welfare, and rights of labourers, farmers, backward & minority classes and students.
Mulayam Singh was president of Etawah Degree College from 1962 to 1963, President of A.K. College, Shikohabad and also Students’ Union of K.K. College in Etawah.He is a trained teacher and worked as a as a lecturer in Karhail in Uttar Pradesh and passionate as a wrestler.
Mulayam Singh Yadav’s Political journey
- In 1960, he joined politics.
- In 1967, he won the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections and became an MLA.
- In UP, he won Assembly Election in UP in the years 1974, 1977, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2004 and 2007.
- In 1974, Mulayam Singh became the member of the Pratinihit Vidhayan Samiti.
- In 1977 , Mulayam Singh became the Cooperative and Animal Husbandry Minister in Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1980 , Mulayam Singh was the Lok Dal President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1982 to 1985 Mulayam Singh was the Lok Dal (B) President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1985 to 1987 Mulayam Singh was the Janata Dal President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1989 to 1991 Mulayam Singh was the Member of the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1989, Mulayam Singh became the Chief Minister of the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1989 ,Mulayam Singh was the Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council of Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1992, Mulayam Singh was the Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1993 to 1995 he was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1996, Mulayam Singh was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha for the first time from Mainpuri constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1996, Mulayam Singh became the Union Cabinet Minister in Defense under the United Front Government.
- In 1996, Mulayam Singh was the Leader of the Legislative Party of Janata Dal in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1996 to 1998, Mulayam Singh founded the Samajwadi Party and remained the President of the party.
- In 1998 , Mulayam Singh became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the second time.
- From 1998 to 1999 Mulayam Singh was re-elected to the 12th Lok Sabha for the second time.
- In 1999, Mulayam Singh became an elected member of the 13th Lok Sabha for the third time.
- From 1999 to 2000, Mulayam Singh remained Chairman of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Committee. He was also a member of General Purposes Committee.
- In September 2003,Mulayam Singh again became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the third time and held the post till May 2007.
- In 2004, Mulayam Singh became an elected member of the 14th Lok Sabha for the fourth term.
- In 2009 , Mulayam Singh became an elected member of the 15th Lok Sabha for the fifth term.
- In August 2009 , Mulayam Singh became the Chairman of the Committee on Energy.
|Chairman of the Samajwadi Party|
|Preceded by||Post established|
|Member of Lok Sabha|
|In office||2009 – incumbent|
|Preceded by||Ramakant Yadav|
|Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh|
|In office||29 August 2003 – 11 May 2007|
|In office||5 December 1993 – 3 June 1995|
|Preceded by||President’s Rule (Administered by the Governor of Uttar Pradesh)|
|In office||5 December 1989 – 24 January 1991|
|Preceded by||Narayan Dutt Tiwari|
|Succeeded by||Kalyan Singh|
|Minister of Defence|
|In office||1 June 1996 – 19 March 1998|
|Prime Minister||H. D. Deve Gowda,I. K. Gujral|
|Preceded by||Pramod Mahajan|
|Succeeded by||George Fernandes|
|Born||22 November 1939 (age 76),Saifai village, Etawah district, Uttar Pradesh|
|Political party||Samajwadi Party (1992-present),Previously:Socialist Party,Bharatiya Lok Dal,Janata Party, Lok Dal(B).Janata Dal|
|Spouse(s)||(1) Shrimati Malti Devi, (2) Sadhana Gupta|
|Relations||Ratan Singh Yadav (brother), Abhay Ram Singh Yadav (brother), Rajpal Singh Yadav (brother), Shivpal Singh Yadav (brother), Kamla Devi Yadav (sister), Ajant Singh Yadav (brother-in-law), Dimple Yadav(Daughter-in-law), Dharmendra Yadav(nephew), Gaurav Yadav(nephew),Tej Pratap Yadav(grand-nephew), Aditi Yadav (Grand-daughter), Tina Yadav (Grand-daughter), Arjun Yadav(Grand-son), Ram Gopal Yadav (brother)|
|Children||Akhilesh Yadav,Prateek Yadav|
|Residence||Saifai village, Etawah district, Uttar Pradesh|